Temporary Disinfectant Conversion

Posted on October 13, 2020

Temporary Disinfectant Conversion from Chloramine to Free Chlorine

 The City of Boyd public water system, (PWS) ID TX2490002, will temporarily convert the disinfectant used in the distribution system from chloramine to free chlorine. The conversion will begin on November 15, 2020 and continue through December 15, 2020. During this period, you may experience taste and odor changes associated with this type of temporary disinfectant conversion.

 Public water systems are required to properly disinfect their water and maintain an adequate disinfectant residual in the distribution system. Chloramine, free chlorine combined with ammonia, is widely used as a disinfectant because it persists for long periods while also limiting the formation of disinfection by-product contaminants. Prolonged use of chloramine coupled with other factors that can affect water quality, such as high temperatures or stagnation of water, may result in the growth and/or persistence of organic matter within the pipes of the distribution system, which may hinder the ability to maintain an adequate disinfectant residual. A temporary conversion to free chlorine, partnered with flushing activities, helps to rid distribution pipes of this organic matter and improve the quality of your water overall.

 The City of Boyd has chosen to implement a temporary disinfectant conversion to free chlorine based on the Need for Preventative Maintenance to kill bacteria that can make the maintenance of disinfection residual problematic. A film can form in the distribution system piping that can contain bacteria which use ammonia as a food source. These bacteria in this film are harmless to people. When the water system stops adding ammonia, the bacteria starve. Therefore, a periodic conversion to free chlorine is effective for inactivating these types of bacteria in piping with biofilm by interrupting the supply of ammonia and can help prevent subsequent issues from occurring 

Please share this information with all people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (i.e., people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.


If you have questions regarding this matter, you may contact


William D. Taylor    at     (940)433-8400