Citizens Guide to Participating in Government

The City of Boyd and the City Council encourage all citizens to participate in City government and ROUTINELY ATTEND MEETINGS.

There are key points as an introduction to participating in meetings:

  • Citizens may speak during the Public Comment period of the agenda for three minutes
  • Citizens are able to speak on any one item on the agenda once recognition is given by the Mayor
  • Each speaker should wait his/her turn and approach the council once called by the Mayor
  • Speakers must adhere to the 3 minute time limit
  • Citizens who wish to speak during the Public Comment section, must sign in with the City Secretary prior to the start of the meeting.

When groups wish to address the council on any one topic, one spokesperson should be appointed by the group.

Comments and statements must be addressed to the council not other members of the audience
Once comments are given, member of the council are not allow to question or debate the topic of the comments.

How do citizens most often participate in City Council’s decisions?

You can participate in City Council’s decisions by:

  • Making presentations at public hearings held to get public input into legislature and other significant decisions such as re-zoning and discretionary use applications.
  • Making presentations at Committee meetings in response to recommendations made by City departments for any kind of project or initiative.
  • Sending written submissions to Council about reports or proposed legislature.
  • Writing to City Council on issues of concern.​

How can I find out what is on the Council Agenda?

Agendas are normally published on the Monday of the week of the meeting. Agendas are subject to change up to 72 hours preceding the meeting. Agendas are available for viewing at several locating on this website. Agendas are also posted through the city’s calendar. If you desire a copy of the agenda please feel free to download and print, additional agendas are available prior to and during the meeting.

Some ordinances, especially land use, require advertising and a public hearing before Council may approve them. These are referred to as “public hearings”. These public hearings occur at the beginning of each Council agenda. They are advertised in the local newspaper in advance of the meeting, advertised on the website hand notice is posted at the site in question.

How can I get an item of concern before City Council or a Committee?

If you know that a particular report or issue is to be discussed at either City Council or one of its standing committees, you may request to make a presentation during that discussion. You must mail, email ([email protected]) or present in person, a letter to the City Secretary, 100 E. Rock Island / P.O. Box 216 Boyd, Texas 76023.  If you wish to speak on the matter, your letter should say so. You can also bring forward a new matter for Council’s consideration by writing a letter to City Council, at the address noted above.
Your letter must clearly specify the issue which you wish to address, as well as a general outline of your concerns. Please note that, since all meetings of City Council are public, your letter is considered a public document.

You are encouraged to contact the City Secretary’s  Office at 940-433-5166 ext #1 to clarify the requirements for writing to City Council.

All request are due by 4:00 p.m. on the Monday a week before the regular meeting.
It is the discretion of the Mayor which items will be placed for consideration on the monthly council agenda

Is there anything which I need to know about making a presentation?

Items on an agenda are dealt with in the order they appear. Generally the Administration will make their presentation, followed by those individuals approved to speak on the item.

You will have three minutes to make your presentation. If you have more than one person wishing to speak you will only be allowed three minutes for the entire delegation. Following your presentation, you may be asked questions from members of Council for clarification or elaboration only.

How will I know when a decision is made on the issue in which I am interested?

A motion will be made on all issues which require a decision or direction from City Council or a committee. You may seek clarification from the City Administrator or the City Secretary if you do not understand what has been decided.

If you request, in writing, you may receive a letter or email from the City Administrator’s Office advising you of the action taken by Council or the Committee and what will happen next, if anything.